How Twitter cards can help increase your reach of your Tweets
Do you use Twitter cards? A better question to ask would be; do you know what Twitter cards are and how to use them to drive up your Tweets reach? If you have been using the internet for a while, you are not new to the term SEO (Search Engine Optimization). However, not very many people will be familiar with the concept of social media optimization. Social media optimization is the process of optimizing your content for social platforms. For example, if you share an image on your brand social media platform, you may want to provide additional information such as the image dimensions to ensure that the social platform can use the image on future posts if you so instruct. Twitter cards are exactly that. Twitter cards are a very easy way to add extra information to your content. This allows you to maximize the potential of any tweet you share.
Twitter cards are a few lines of code that you can add to your website to inform Twitter about videos, photos, and other media such as presentations you upload to your website. When you add Twitter cards to your website, Twitter adds a card to the content when someone shares any content from your website. This in turn allows you to provide more information.
Twitter offers you eight different Twitter cards for your use. Namely:
- Summary card- A summary card is a descriptive card with a thumbnail image
- Summary card with a large image- This card is similar to the summary card except that it has a larger image.
- Photo card- The only difference between this card and the one above is that in this one, the image comes first and the text goes under the image
- A gallery card is similar to a photo card except that the gallery card displays four images.
- App Card- An app card allows you to share content related to your app.
- Player card- A player card is a card that allows you to add audio and videos to your tweets and your audience can watch the video or listen to the audio without navigating away from Twitter.
- Product cards- A product card allows you to share more information about a product available on your website in a tweet
- Lead generation card- A lead generation card motivates your Twitter followers to take action from a tweet. A good example is including a signup button to your tweet. Using this card does require you to have an advertising account with Twitter.
How Twitter cards can help increase your reach
One of the main features of Twitter cards is that they always integrate an image. A lot of research has gone into showing which tweets or posts attract more interaction and research shows that tweets or posts with images attract more views and retweets. By using Twitter cards, you give your tweets more visibility. You can then use this visibility to increase your Twitter followers.
Drive traffic/generate leads
Another advantage of using Twitter cards is that they drive tons of traffic to your website. Remember that Twitter cards are strings of code you add to your website. This means that each time someone clicks on a tweet optimized with a twitter card, it will redirect to your website (depending on the card in use). This can drive up site views and advertising revenue.
Effective call to action
I have also found that Twitter cards are a very effective call to action. The lead generation card is the best thing that could ever happen to your Twitter campaign. Since it integrates tons of features such as email collection, it can turn your Twitter followers from Twitter followers into part of your mailing list. This makes it a very effective call to action. Further, Twitter cards are an interactive way of adding some pomp and color to your tweets, as well as provide your Twitter followers with more information about products available for grabs on your website.